About Me

Warning you about crappy movies since 2008.

Friday, February 25, 2011

And, the Oscar goes to ...

How does the Chronic Critic celebrate Oscar Night? Why, alone, of course. (Unless you count my cat, Emily Dickinson. Wait, that's Liz Lemon's cat. Mine is Chairman Meow.)

At any rate, how else could I fully concentrate on the gowns, the practiced banter, the reactions of winners and also-rans and the acceptance speeches? A party may be fine for something like the Super Bowl or presidential debates. But, I need to focus on the Oscars.

Here's how I wish the night would go versus how I predict the night will go. Please note: My guesses are wrong every year, but that doesn't stop me from making my annual predictions.

Best Picture
If I had my way: The Ghost Writer (Alas, it will not win, since it is not nominated.)
Prediction: The King's Speech (Which is wonderful and deserving, but I thought The Ghost Writer was the slightly better film.) I will be distraught if that hot mess of a movie, Black Swan, takes home the big prize. And, it might.

Best Actor
If I had my way: Colin Firth (The King's Speech)
Prediction: Colin Firth

Best Actress
If I had my way: Michelle Williams (Blue Valentine)
Prediction: Natalie Portman (Black Swan)

Best Supporting Actor
If I had my way: Christian Bale (The Fighter)
Prediction: Christian Bale 

Best Supporting Actress
If I had my way: Jacki Weaver (Animal Kingdom)
Prediction: Melissa Leo (The Fighter) Leo was wonderful in her role as the domineering, low-life matriarch of two would-be prize fighters, but Weaver was astonishing as a domineering, low-life matriarch of an Australian crime family.

Best Director
If I had my way: Tom Hooper (The King's Speech)
Prediction: Darren Aronofsky (Black Swan)

Enjoy the show!

No comments: